Training Our Crews
Local 479 has a proud history of experienced crews mentoring its newer members, and as our local has grown we have built upon that culture of members-training-members. Today our local features an educational curriculum designed to pass along the best practices in use by technicians in a variety of specialized crafts from our industry. With dedicated training workspaces and classrooms, our local is becoming a national leader within the IATSE. Our newest members are expected to participate, while our most experienced members are encouraged to lead by example and to share their time and knowledge with the next generation.
Members in good standing who wish to enroll in any of the training classes we offer should send an email to email@example.com. Please be sure to include your full legal name and the date of the specific class(es) you wish to attend. Please note that emails sent after business hours will be answered on the next business day during normal operating hours.
Following recommended protocols all training events at IATSE Local 479 are currently suspended.
Education Leadership Team
Kevin AmickDirector of Education
As Director of Education and Training Kevin organizes and facilitates classes featuring trained instructors and industry experts with decades of practical experience in the film and television industry. Kevin also serves as a Trustee for the IATSE Training Trust Fund and is an Authorized OSHA Outreach Trainer, committed to building a well trained workforce, ensuring our members can compete with crews from any market.
Felicia SmithAdministrative Assistant
Felicia is the administrator for our education program, preparing coursework, setting up the training facility, recording course completions, and administering sign-ups for the various programs offered by the IATSE Training Trust Fund.
Iasmina (just call her Yaz!) is the friendly face of Local 479’s education department, greeting visitors and assisting members with signing up for training classes.
Local 479’s hands-on, interactive classes expose students to all aspects of the techniques employed by the craft and provide direct access to experts in the field, from vendor reps and equipment suppliers to department heads . Note that this page features a list of classes we have offered over the past 18 months.
How to Sign Up For Classes
Signing up for a class is really quite simple – the difficult part is requesting attendance before a class is filled. Take a moment to review these notes:
- Unless noted otherwise, you must be a member in good standing of Local 479 to participate in one of our classes.
- Check your email frequently. We often post notices on our social media outlets as well, so be sure to follow us on Facebook, but email is the most reliable way to stay up-to-date on our current classes and their availability.
- If you see a class that you’d like to take, contact us immediately (in the manner specified in the email or social media posting) to get your name in the queue for a spot. You will be notified via email when you have been successfully registered for a class.
- If you are confirmed as an attendee for a class be sure to attend on the day and time specified. If you find yourself unable to attend a class after receiving your confirmation of registration email, PLEASE notify Kevin or Ed via email or by phone at least 24 hours prior to the class, so that they may offer the spot to the next member on the waiting list.
- To sign up and for more information on classes contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Safety Pass Application
The Safety Pass Program was conceived by the Motion Picture and Television Industry-Wide Labor-Management Safety Committee as a means of addressing the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (“OSHA”) requirements that employees be trained (and the training documented) in the safe use of equipment and work practices on their job. Sign up today (using the form linked below) to take modules A & A2.
LinkedIn Learning Membership
LinkedIn Learning subscriptions are FREE to IATSE Members! Information on how to sign up is provided in the members-only website. Through this subscription, you have unlimited access to the LinkedIn Learning online library of high-quality, instructional videos across a wide spectrum of technologies. It’s a personalized learning experience powered by the LinkedIn network, based on trending skills in your craft. For full instructions on signing up for this service visit the Member Dashboard (login required).