2017 Health & Wellness Day Wrap-Up
IATSE Local 479 Benefits Coordinator Lauralyn Walsh reports that this year’s Health & Wellness Day saw an increase in attendance and looks forward to even more growth for next year’s event. In addition to the screenings mentioned in this year’s announcement, the event also included specialized hearing exams and testing for prostate cancer. The remote mammogram testing team was unable to be secured due to low pre-registration by our membership, which is largely due to our membership’s age skewing younger.
Director of Education Kevin Amick provided an impromptu tour of the day’s events in a live video broadcast, a copy of which is provided here.
Northside Hospital provides a number of free screening services year-round, including:
- Smoking cessation
- Skin cancer screenings
- Prostate cancer screenings
- Breast cancer screenings
The hospital accepts insurance, but the screenings are free even if you do not have insurance.
Attendees were qualified to receive door prizes from the booths that they visited, those winners were:
- Jeane Champion won a Salad Master
- David Presley won a Dental One Gift Bag
- Susan Russell won a Free Teeth Bleaching from King Dental Center
- Jamie Cockerham won a Gift Certificate from Superior Massage
- Amanda Garrett (Tyler Garrett’s Wife) won a Voyager III Tablet
- Sara Cobbeldick won a gift bag from sweet spot Vtox Boutique
Special thanks to the volunteers from our Young Workers Committee: Sarah Cobbeldick, Alex Khan, Caitlin Booth, and Austin Wonka.